Friday, March 25, 2011

Reflections on EclipseCon

Thanks to everyone at EclipseCon this past week for making it a great experience. JaxEnter asked me to write a short reflection about my experiences. I don't want to steal traffic from them, so you can see the article by following the link above :-).

The article is technology-centric. It was difficult for me to choose from among the many great things that are going on with Eclipse since it is such a vibrant and innovative community. The technologies in the article have heavy support from the top-level projects, so they will be interesting to follow. Also, in reality, they only reflect my own interests and experience and I could not have possibly seen everything going on at EclipseCon. That isn't to diminish any of the other great technologies that are built on Eclipse. There are a tonne of them that have become so integrated into my daily work, that I barely even notice them anymore. That's a real compliment, I think.

The best thing, really, though is the community. I have to admit that it was a little difficult to get to talk to people before I gave my talk on Wednesday. After that, though, I had a few great conversations. I'd like to make a shout-out to the guys over at Ericsson. For the past while, we have been working on the same set of problems, with support by the same funders. We had to go all the way to California for EclipseCon before we had heard about each other, though. It's a funny world.

Oh well, time to head back home. Good-bye cold, rainy California. I'll be going back to the rain and palm trees of Victoria :-).

1 comment: